Friday, July 1, 2011

I'm back! Diary of a vagabond












I've been on the road, a carefree vagabond with my great company in crime throughout the US and A -  a quick stop by legendary Baghdad Cafe in Newberry Springs before leaving California behind and then hello all the ghost towns along route 66, the little wild wild west town Oatman in Arizona, beautiful Santa Fe in New Mexico, the King's Memphis and country music mecca Nashville. So much beauty, so much fun, so much to explore. I could have stayed a lot longer. And the cowgirl wannabe in me never wanted to leave Texas...the charming Fort Worth Stockyards district treated me to Rodeo followed by a drink in a bar, sitting on saddles instead of a bar stool! I'm pretty sure I've must have been, if not a cowgirl, then at least a "Southern belle" in my previous life. I was like a crazy kid in a candy store running around "Southfork" ranch in Dallas. At last! JR wasn't home unfortunately but I'll catch him next time! :) A bag filled with Mardi Gras necklaces tells a story about some fun party nights in New Orleans, a dried out sunflower about the hundreds of them growing alongside the road, so close by I could open the car window and fetch one. And all the beautiful stones I collected along the way. One for each state, I'm sure. Life on the road is simple, no LA stress, no facebook, hardly any emails or phone calls, no home that needs to be cleaned or dishes that need to be done - instead a modest motel room that rests the body for the night and a white Cadillac ready to take me to new adventures in the morning. I might just dust those cowboy boots off and go again next year!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a trip! I wish I had been on it too.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time, take me with you. Glad you're back! I bet I'm not the only one who has missed your poetic lines. WELCOME HOME Becki!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures...happy to read that you had a great trip. You totally look like a "Southern Belle."

    ReplyDelete