Thursday, May 19, 2011

Knots Landing & the show of all times....DALLAS! My fascination for the 80's soap operas



My current "after-boxing-class treat" is Knots Landing, the 80's soap opera about four married couples in a Los Angeles suburb in California. It's a spin-off to Dallas, my favorite TV show of all time, and only one among all the TV classics I'm addicted to. I don't know why I've always been so fascinated with 80's soap operas. Most likely it's the outrageous fashion, the over-the-top characters and the good vs evil. And probably also all the memories I have from them growing up. Me and my sister glued to the TV every Saturday with the biggest pile of popcorn, mom could ever make, between us. Even back then I loved traditions. Never a Saturday evening without JR Ewing. The characteristic intro showing images of Texas. The beautiful cast smiling welcoming towards two sisters from a small town, somewhere completely elsewhere. As a kid I thought that just must be the coolest place on earth. Enormous skyscrapers reaching the sky and men walking the streets with cowboy hats and boots. In Sweden we had neither. Ever since then, I've dreamed of visiting Dallas.

The Idol
And then of course there were Dynasty, Falcon Crest... we saw all of them. My sister always rooted for Alexis and I was "team Blake and Chrystle". The discussions and disagreements we had, that was all part of the fun. ( Lance we were probably both in love with :) ) But there is no character I've found as fascinating as JR Ewing. He is the only bad guy I've ever excused everything. His charm really lets him get away with murder. I think it's because his persona is so complex. Evil yes, but also very vulnerable and capable of loving those closest to him. I'm so excited to see a bit of his Dallas this summer when I'll FINALLY be visiting the Lone Star State. The kid in me can't wait! :))

No comments:

Post a Comment